4-4 Energizing Breath
Benefits of this breathing technique
This is a great quick energy booster when you have only a few minutes.
It will quickly rejuvenate your body and spirit and will calm your mind.
This Kundalini Yoga exercise will relax and energize you. It will as well help you when you feel overwhelmed with emotions.
Try to do do a few times a day at strategic times (before work/meetings, driving home, etc.).
This breathing exercise will work great when you feel you have an after lunch dip.
How to do it:
- Sit with a straight spine and crossed legs if possible. Relax your shoulders.
- Start with taking a few deep breaths.
- Place your palms together at the heart center with the fingers pointing up. And press your hands firmly.
- Focus at the third eye(the brow point) with eyelids lightly closed.
- Inhale, breaking the breath into 4 equal parts of sniffs, filling the lungs completely on the 4th.
- As you exhale, release the breath equally in 4 parts, emptying the lungs on the 4th. Note: On each part of both the inhale and exhale, pull the navel point toward the spine. (The stronger you pump the navel the more energy you will generate.)
- One full breath cycle (in and out) takes about 7-8 seconds.
- Continue for 2-3 minutes.
If you press the hands very hard, and do it vigorously, 1 minute will recharge you.
If the mind has a lot of anxiety or confusion you can add the mantra “Sa -Ta – Na – Ma” mentally on both the inhale and the exhale.
Sa=infinity Ta=Life Na=Death Ma=Rebirth
- To end, inhale deeply, press the palms together with force for 10-15 seconds. Create a tension in the whole body by pressing as hard as you can. Hold as long as possible.
- Exhale powerfully
- Repeat the inhale, hold, press.
- Exhale, relax and allow the tension in the body to vanish.
- If you feel you need to rest, lie on the back with the eyes closed and relax for 2-5 minutes.
- Take a few deep breaths, stretch, and you will be ready for action.
See our calendar
Past & Future Events
Event Type :
Event Type 2: