The Heart Centering Exercise is a great tool which will help to interrupt your stress response, even in the midst of the chaos of daily life. It is a very simple and useful technique for those moments that you are feeling anxious, stressed or very emotional.
It brings the attention from your brain to your heart.
From research we know that the human heart has its own nervous system. When you shift your attention from the head to the heart, your body relaxes, natural relaxation occurs.
How to do the Heart Centering Exercise
- Stop with what you are doing, you can sit, lie down or even stand.
- Close your eyes and take a deep breath
- Become aware that you are experiencing a stressful feeling in your body or that your mind is racing.
- Place one hand on your heart center and focus your energy into this area. Take at least three slow and gentle breaths into your heart, maintaining your focus on the feeling of your hand in the center of your chest.
- Now, recall a time when you felt really joyful and good – a time you felt deep joy or love.
- Return to that memory as if you are back there again right now.
- Look into this memory and see what you saw, hear what you heard, and feel how good you felt.
- Experience this good feeling in your body on, fill your whole body with this feeling of love and joy.
- Breathing in and our from your heart center
- Focus on your heart center and imagine your heart could speak to you.
- Ask your heart how you could take better care of yourself in this moment and in this situation.
- Listen to what your heart says in answer to your question
- Make a promise with yourself to act on it as soon as you can.